and what a beautiful start.
I never am prepared for the ending of November and the start of December. Every year my plan is to have the house decorated, the goody boxes ready to mail, and the Christmas cards signed-sealed-ready to mail. But, as always I have resolved to prepare things as they come.
In the meantime, I have a great recipe to share, 'Apple Cranberry Cake'. It is easy and one that I have adapted using goat's milk butter and strained goat's milk yoghurt (this has the consistency of sour cream). It is a beautiful dessert.
|Apple Cranberry Cake|
12 oz. fresh cranberries, rinsed and check for stems
1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced (I used Arkansas Black. They
are a little tart and a little sweet.)
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 Tablespoon grated orange zest (about 2 oranges)
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, melted (I substituted goat's milk butter
because I cannot have cow's milk dairy)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup sour cream (I substituted strained goat's milk yoghurt)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 10-inch pie plate
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
1. Combine the cranberries, the diced apple, brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set this aside for later.
2. In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, on medium high speed beat the eggs for 2 minutes.
3. Turn mixer down to medium and add 1 cup granulated sugar, butter, vanilla, and sour cream. Mix these until just combined.
4. Turning mixer to low speed slowly add the flour and salt.
5. Next, take the fruit mixture that you set aside and pour into the 10-inch pie pan. Then pour the batter over the fruit, making sure to cover it completely.
6. Lastly, take the remaining 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle it over the top of the batter.
7. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
*Best to serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.
Have a wonderful December 1st.