While trying to avoid all things with dairy (this is any dairy items made from cow’s milk) I am constantly reworking recipes that I can make substitutions for (cow’s milk) dairy.
I was very excited to find out the ‘Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry’ has no dairy. And, of course, I needed to use this marvelous product in a recipe.
This sweet little ‘Cinnamon & Sugar Apple Turnover Recipe’ was just the thing. Because there are times you need a ‘little sweet’ at the end of your day.
Cinnamon & Sugar Glazed Apple Turnovers
1 box Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry (thaw according to
Filling: 2 apples (peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped)
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup applesauce (peeled, cored, and coarsely
1. Heat oven to 400
2. In food processor place the apples, ½ cup of
sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Pulse in food processor until the apples are chopped into pieces no larger than ½ inch. Allow this mixture to sit for 5 minutes.
3. Next place mixture in a fine-mesh strainer over
a bowl. Drain the mixture and reserve the
4. After the mixture has drained transfer into a
mixing bowl. Stir in the apple sauce.
5. Place one sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly
floured work surface. Cut into four 5-inch
squares and fill each square with 2 tablespoons
of apple mixture. Brush edges with reserved
apple juice. Next fold over pastry at the corner
to form a triangle and crimp the edges with
6. Repeat the same process with the 2nd sheet of
7. Place prepared turnovers on a tray and place in
freezer until firm. About 15 minutes.
8. Remove from freezer and place turnovers onto
a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush tops
with reserved apple juice and sprinkle on the
cinnamon & sugar topping.
9. Bake in 400oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Rotate
baking sheet halfway through the baking time.
10. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to
11. After turnovers have cooled drizzle on the
Cinnamon & Sugar Topping:
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Combine ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 to 3 Tablespoons milk (of your choice) or water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Put sugar in a bowl. Slowly stir in the milk and vanilla to make a smooth, pourable glaze. (You may need less or more milk/water depending on how thick you want your glaze.)
Have a Blessed Sunday and Thanks for